Our Construction Defect Practice Group is engaged in the representation of general contractors and specialty sub-contractors. Successful resolution of construction defect cases is furthered by early analysis, pre-trial discovery directed to narrowing the case issues, and the efficient use and management of our clients’ input.
The Construction Defect Practice Group is involved in the defense of developers, contractors,and sub-contractors, as well as the prosecution of recovery against contractors, architects and engineers. When requested by clients, members of the Practice Group have been actively involved in on-site investigations and remediation. Some matters in which the Construction Defect Practice Group has been involved include:
- Successfully defended the fabricator and installer of a railing system installed in a parking garage against claims of negligence, breach of contract, and indemnification amounting to $600,000.00 in claimed damages;
- Represented an epoxy injection contractor in a multi-million dollar dispute involving the erection of the Cook County Jail Dormitory facility;
- Represented a glass curtain wall fabricator and installer in a major renovation;
- Successfully prosecuted errors and omissions claims against the developer, architect and engineers of a warehouse, as a result of an underlying $40 million contents loss;
- Successfully tried to verdict the defense of an HVAC sub-contractor whose work was alleged to have caused a fire twelve minutes after the contractor left the residential work-site;
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an electrical sub-contractor alleged to have caused $1.1 million in property damage to a historic building;
- Represented a roofing contractor in an action brought by a condominium association in a multi-unit complex;
- Represented a general contractor in a mechanic’s lien case brought by a masonry sub-contractor; and,
- Represented a masonry contractor involved in a dispute arising from the rehabilitation of a historic lakefront building.
The Construction Defect Practice Group recognizes the high cost of large-loss, multi-party litigation. All cases are carefully analyzed and considered for alternative dispute resolution.