Boiler and Machinery claims are typically severe and highly technical losses. The Boiler and Machinery Practice Group attorneys have more than 50+ years experience in large loss machinery claims, ranging from first-party claims, joint loss disputes, arbitrations, reinsurance disputes and subrogation of equipment losses.
The Boiler and Machinery Practice Group includes engineering capability, policy coverage experience and seasoned litigators. This combination of technical and legal skills affords our clients the best opportunity for policy correct claim dispositions, properly apportioned joint loss disputes, successful arbitrations and effective recovery and analysis. Equipment and machinery claims require the utilization and control of experts. The firm maintains a large, current expert listing, a valuable resource in claim investigation and analysis.
Equipment breakdown claims are geographically widespread. Accordingly, travel to plant sites and arbitration/litigation forums is the custom rather than the exception. Our experience and method has been accepted and welcomed in many states. The resulting credibility has served to reduce dispute time and costs. Some cases where firm attorneys have become involved include:
- All-risk vs. boiler dispute and resulting arbitration over whether a multi-million dollar loss from an explosion of a pressure vessel is characterized as a rupture or an explosion;
- Evaluation of fires as friendly or hostile and Boiler and Machinery coverage determinations;
- Investigation of a major ammonia loss involving employee error and the necessary elements of an “accident to an object”;
- Evaluation of the insured’s compliance with a “spares endorsement” and resulting deductible implications; and,
- Litigation of a major ammonia blow-out as an explosion or covered accident.